Supplied by Lauren Shantall (Pty) Ltd:
The PPC Imaginarium Awards – South Africa’s most substantial arts and design competition- is thrilled to announce a judging panel that is almost as exciting as the competition itself. This year’s panel boasts an extraordinary list of top-notch thought leaders with expertise in film, design, architecture and the arts.
Judges Sara Blecher & Cathy O’Clery
Renowned for her film,Otelo Burning, award-winning documentary director and producer, Sara Blecher is one of many creatives who sit on this year’s panel. Blecher has elicited glowing praise locally and internationally for her latest venture titledAyanda and the Mechanic, a film that she co-produced with award-winning Tsotsi star and actor Terry Pheto. Her new film enjoyed a sold-out world premiere at the Los Angeles Film Festival, was successful atthe 2015 Cannes Film Festival in France, and was screened as the opening film of the 36th Durban International Film Festival.
Other cinematic forces to be reckoned with include award-winning director, Wessel van Huyssteen of Tin Rage Productions; and Karima Effendi, producer of the acclaimed educational TV drama series InterSEXions.
The awards committee is alsofortunate to be joined by heavyweight design luminaries that include Alayne Reesberg, who previously headed the World Design Capital Cape Town 2014; Programme Director of 100% Design South Africa, Cathy O’Clery- who curates the country’s only international design show; and industrial design duo Adriaan Hugo and Katy Taplin,who are behind the ground-breaking design studio Dokter and Misses and inspire a broad-rangingaudience with their contemporary African aesthetic.
Renowned artists gracing the panel include Diane Victor, Wilma Cruise, Stephen Hobbs and Ledelle Moe. High calibre academic professionals in the arts include Wayne Matthews, David Jones, Aaron Kohn, Theresa Hardman, Annali Dempsey and Philippa Tumubweinee.
The full PPC Imaginarium Judging Panel is as follows:
- Aaron Kohn, Founding Director of the Museum of African Design, Johannesburg, and co-curator of the upcoming AKAA (Also Known As Africa) Art and Design Fair in Paris.
- Ledelle Moe, Head of Sculpture Department at the University of Stellenbosch
- Cathy O’Clery, Programmes Director of 100% Design South Africa and Design Facilitator for Design Network Africa
- Alayne Reesberg, CEO World Design Capital Cape Town
- Wayne Matthews, Gallery Manager and Curator at ArtEC
- David Jones, Head of Department of Studio Arts at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- Theresa Hardman, Artist, Architect and Lecturer at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- Diane Victor, Printmaker, Visual Artist and Lecturerat various South African institutions
- Annali Dempsey, Curator at the University of Johannesburg Art Gallery
- Stephen Hobbs, Artist, Curator and Director of Art-icle
- Wilma Cruise, Sculptor and Visual Artist
- Adriaan Hugo and Katy Taplin of Dokter and Misses
- Philippa Tumubweinee Co- founder and Director of Izuba inAfrica Architects
- Karima Effendi, Film Producer, Script Editor and Writer
- Sara Blecher,Director and Co- founder of CINGA productions
- Wessel van Huyssteen, Film maker and director of Tin Rage Productions
The judges are tasked with evaluating the entries in order to determine the finalists and overall winner. The judging process will occur in three phases. The first phase of judging will be based on entrants’ written proposals to determine who makes it to the production phase. The second phase of judging, in which regional judging takes place and finalists are chosen, will be based on physical submissions. The finalists will then be judged in the third and final phase at the national level.
The winners in each competition category will be announced on Thursday, 4 February 2016. The overall competition winner announcement will take place at the University of Johannesburg in Auckland Park on Thursday, 31 March 2016.
The winners will receive substantial monetary prizes, but in addition to this, the judges will also mentor each of the category winners.
Follow the PPC Imaginarium Awards website www.ppcimaginarium.co.za for more information and interviews with the judges.