Supplied by Lauren Shantell | Thumelo Mosaka interviewed by Desiray Viney:
The one thing that CPT has, is that it’s a destination place. It’s beauty is unrivaled and attractive to many international visitors. Having CTAF in this local makes it an ideal place to expose art from around the continent and abroad given its broad appeal abroad.
2. What is your overall goal or strategy for this 5th edition of CTAF?
3. Some say that African art is the only art that is growing. Would you
Well, I’m not sure what you mean by growth!! If you are referring to becoming more sort after or showing internationally, then I would agree. I think this is partly a response to the globalization phenomenon where technology has offered us the tools to find other ways of being seen. The usual gate keepers no longer control the circulation and distribution of art. Contemporary African Artists are present everywhere today. They continue to find way to reach new audiences beyond the expectations by invigorating and reinventing themselves sometimes in unexpected ways.
4. What are your objectives for the special project, Tomorrows/Today?
My objective is to:
5. What global impact do you anticipate, or hope for, with CTAF2017?
6. Can you comment on the selection process of galleries and artists?