1. This is the 9th edition of Turbine Art Fair
2. Turbine Art Fair (TAF) is a unique South African art fair that brings together galleries, artists and curators from around the country to showcase and sell contemporary art. Founded in 2013 by The Forum Company, TAF was the first accessible and affordable South African art fair aimed at small scale and emerging galleries as well as emerging artists and collectors, working toward growing the market for South African Contemporary art.
3. Visitors can either visit the Fair in person at 10 Fricker Road or view online at: https://turbineartfair.co.za from 30th September – 3rd October 2021.
4. Tickets need to be pre-booked online prior to arrival and strict covid screening and protocols will be in place. TAF will be open to the public from 09h00 – 20h00 on Friday 1st, 09H00 – 18h00 Saturday 2nd and 09h00 – 18h00 on Sunday 3rd. Tickets cost R150. Students – R60 (Friday only)
5. TAF 2021 will feature 30 Exhibitors and 182 artists from Southern Africa
6. A virtual Talks Programme, in partnership with ITOO Artinsure will take place alongside the fair and will be available on the website. The programme is free but will require pre-registration.
7. TAF is also in partnership with Artsy, the world’s largest online art marketplace.
8. TAF Unearthed has enhanced and innovated the structure of its mentorship programme to address the needs of artists and prepare and propel them through uncertainty. The 2021 artists have been mentored by Nkhensani Rihlampfu and Thembi Matroshe. The group exhibition will be curated by Thembi Matroshe.
9. TAF Off the Grid, curated by Karel Nel is a new feature exhibition which highlights 4 mid-career South African artists. Each artist will present a capsule solo exhibition at the fair. Aimed at supporting the careers of artists, this exhibition provides an opportunity to highlight artists outside of the main gallery circuit, to re-introduce them to the market and give them a platform to sustain their practice. Exhibiting artists are: Christelle Viviers, Collen Maswanganyi, Derrick Nxumalo & Joni Brenner. This exhibition is insured and supported by ITOO Artinsure and the forum company
10. Sublime – Immersive Multimedia Experience, Inspired by PACE Gallery’s SUPERBLUE projects, TAF will showcase one immersive multimedia art.
11. The Graduate Show is an exhibition of a selection of exceptional art students currently in their 4th/ final year visual art studies or graduating master students. The exhibition has been curated by Simangaliso Sibiya and mentor Tammy Langtry.
12. The TAF Featured Artist is given to a young emerging South African artist who TAF believes has exceptional talent and presents a new fresh voice in the contemporary art scene. TAF has selected Xanthi Zwelendaba for 2021.
13. Artisanal food and beverages created by the forum company will be on sale for visitors attending the fair – expect laden flatbreads, toasties to die for and summer salads as part of the offering.
14. Be the first to view the amazing art on exhibition by booking for the VIP Preview Day Thursday 30th September from 09h00 –20h00. Tickets from R200.
15. Free parking is available underground for all Visitors to TAF 2021