The ArtbankSA is tasked with purchasing artworks from South African artists, particularly that of emerging artists in order to lease the artworks to South African government departments, private companies and private individuals. It is a national programme of the Department of Arts and Culture as part of the Mzansi Golden Economy (MGE) strategy implementation and is hosted by the National Museum Bloemfontein, an agency of the Department of Arts and Culture. The vision of the ArtbankSA is to promote, foster and stimulate a vibrant market for the collection of South African contemporary visual art.
The Art Bank will achieve this vision by:
• Curating a definitive collection of contemporary South African visual art • Promoting financial sustainability for the artists and Art Bank of South Africa through the leasing of art • Nurturing emerging South African artists by expanding the market for their work and providing skills development opportunities • Fostering an appreciation for contemporary art by making art accessible to the broader public in their workplaces and shared spaces.
Criteria for submissions:
Submissions can be sent via email or post. Artists are required to meet the following criteria:
• A detailed submission form is required with each submission. Download submission forms from the Art Bank of South Africa website www.artbanksa.org and the National Museum Bloemfontein website www.nasmus.co.za
• Artists may submit a maximum of five original artworks for consideration
• Artwork can be submitted in any medium • Artwork must have been created in the 2020/2021 year
• Artwork must be of a superior quality and representative of South African contemporary art
• The artist/artist representative will be required to register on the Central Database System (CSD) and be SARS tax compliant.
The decision of the Acquisition Committee will be final and ONLY successful applicants will be contacted about collection and couriering of artwork to the exhibition venue in due course.
Non adherence to the above criteria will result in the application becoming disqualified.
The ArtbankSA Acquisition Committee:
The nine member acquisitions committee will oversee the selection process; approve and make recommendations of artworks for purchase.
The deadline for submissions is 12pm on Friday, 3 September 2021.
All completed submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHYSICAL ARTWORKS ARE TO BE SENT.
Queries must be submitted in writing to email@example.com