The restoration of Filippo Brunelleschi’s magnificently designed 16th-century Capponi Chapel in Florence has finally been completed after a year of restoration work that was spearheaded by an American non-profit.
In the absence of sufficient domestic funding, Kathe and John Dyson of the Friends of Florence organization bankrolled the comprehensive cleaning and refurbishment that included Jacopo Pontormo’s mannerist altarpiece.
The Capponi Chapel, housed in the church of Santa Felicita, was commissioned by the Barbadori family around 1422 and later purchased by the nobleman and banker Lodovico di Gino Capponi in 1525 to serve as the family mausoleum. A year later, Capponi hired Pontormo to paint the interiors. The artist and his assistant Agnolo Bronzino sequestered themselves in the chapel for two years, barring access for everyone, even their patron, while they worked.
“The composition of the painting, the void, the fact that there’s no cross, no crucifix, makes this a really important work,” Kathe Dyson said of the altarpiece, which depicts Christ’s Deposition. “It really shows the end of the Renaissance moving into modern art. He [Pontormo] was a genius. It’s amazing after seeing all the Renaissance work, here’s somebody who changed the game.”
But after 490 years, Pontormo’s masterpiece came into a precarious state and was in desperate need of repair. Botched restorations and architectural interventions had taken their toll on the works to the point where two frescoes were starting to come off their wall supports. Extensive retouching and oxidized varnish dulled the colors, dust and soot buildup hid parts of the painting, and woodworms had eaten through some of the panels and frames. Read more