The National Art Gallery of Namibia (NAGN) is the leading institution for celebrating, collecting, preserving, exhibiting and researching visual art and craft as a component of Namibia’s national identity, cultural heritage and human connectedness.
Competent and innovative candidates are invited to apply for the following vacancy:
1. CHIEF CURATOR (TWO-YEAR CONTRACT APPOINTMENT)
The incumbent will provide leadership in expressing the cultural mandate of the NAGN.
Key performance areas:
Conceptualizing and planning an exhibition program drawing from contemporary work, both local and international, and permanent collections; Curating exhibitions of outstanding quality; Ensuring best practices in exhibition protocol; Coordinating the promotion of exhibitions and related public events; Facilitating critical exhibition reviews; Overseeing the administration and management of art collections following international museum standards, including the accessioning and cataloguing of collections; Supervising the documentation and preservation of art objects; Initiating research of visual art and craft in Namibia; Networking with cultural institutions locally and internationally; Broadening the visitor base of the NAGN; Ensuring excellent visitor relations; Establishing sustainable relationship with artists and other stakeholders; Planning, budgeting, and reporting; Training understudy curators, and relevant staff of the NAGN.
Educational and experiential requirements:
NQA Level 8 qualification in the field of visual arts, or equivalent AND
minimum five (5) years relevant experience as curator at an art gallery or art museum.
• Broad knowledge of art in Namibia and the SADC Region and/or Africa;
• A vision for public art institutions in a postcolonial context;
• Commitment to improve the quality of service;
• Initiative and ability to perform well under pressure;
• Excellent administrative and communication skills;
• Excellent written and spoken English (a second and third language will be an advantage);
• Spirit of teamwork to encourage a positive working environment;
• The applicant must have traceable references;
• Possession of a valid driver’s license will be an advantage.
Positions to be filled from 01st April 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Application forms must be requested via email. The completed application form should be accompanied by a personal motivation letter, a copy of the candidate’s curriculum vitae and certified copies of qualifications and identity document. Completed applications must be submitted via email on or before the closing date. Only candidates with the required qualifications and experience should apply. Application documents will not be returned and only candidates shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
Enquiries: Ms. Annapaula Vakamuena, e-mail: email@example.com
Closing date: Friday, 9 March 2018